Choosing the right learning management system or LMS for short, is one of the important steps that will make your elearning course a success. There are so many good systems out there. You will not have a problem with any shortage. Instead, the challenge will be in finding the right one that will perfectly suit your elearning needs. If not to meet your requirements, your choice will probably depend on how much it will cost you to get that system in place. One thing is for sure, if you fail to choose the right learning management system, that will cost you.
To help you make the right choice, here are a couple of tips that you need to remember as you choose the LMS that will make your course a successful project.
- Know your objectives beforehand. Start with the objective of your elearning course. One of the first signs to determine if the learning management system is a perfect fit is when it is aligned with your objectives. Find out the core objective of your course and use that to compare your LMS choices. It will allow you to ensure that the system can meet the needs of the course and the learners that will be using it.
- Look at the existing LMS you are using. In case you are already using a learning management system, you may want to study it carefully to check if it needs improvement. In most cases, it will – considering how our courses are always in need of growth. Do you need a better data tracking system? Or do you need a more comprehensive assessment of the learner’s progress? You can use these improvements as your signs to determine the right system to choose for your future courses. Make sure that the new one you will get can satisfy any improvements that you need to implement in your old courses.
- Analyze any feedback about existing courses. If you have existing courses, you may want to pay attention to any feedback that you got about them. It would be ideal to get feedback from both learners, facilitators or instructors so you cover all possible improvements needed for your course.
- Consider technical limitations. This is very important when you are choosing your LMS. If you want your course to be accessible through mobile phones, you need to ensure that the system you will get can allow this. Do not just concentrate on the limitations on your end. Think about how the learners will access your course.
- Concentrate on the features that you need. With all the learning management systems available, it will take you a very long time to go through all of them to look for the perfect LMS to use. Narrow your choices by eliminating the systems that offer features you do not need.
- Check out the vendor. Lastly, you need to check the background of the lender that is selling you the learning management system. Are they reliable? What kind of customer support can they provide? These are important questions because if something goes wrong with the LMS that you got from them, you need to know how they can assist you.
Once you have selected the right LMS for your elearning course, it should be easy for you to meet all your objectives. Although it also depends on the implementation, having the right system would give your project a great start.
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles for FreeDigitalPhotos.net